Land Surveyor field / office tech. wanted (temp. / part time) (cupertino)

David Anaya

Postby David Anaya » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:46 pm

of i just got offered worse to be a PC

DucShep

Postby DucShep » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Work is work at this point. Most PC should take it because it might be a long time till the industry comes back. Beggars can’t be choosers. Just my $0.02.

E_Page

Postby E_Page » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:08 am

DucShep wrote:Work is work at this point. Most PC should take it because it might be a long time till the industry comes back. Beggars can’t be choosers. Just my $0.02.

Maybe, but $15/hr is what I was making as a chief 20 years ago in another state. That was considered good pay in that area at that time, but not great.

I know that the economy dictates some adjustment to what we consider to be reasonable pay, but this seems a bit much. A chief should be a technically skilled para-professional, not general labor.
Evan Page, PLS
A Certain Forum Essayist

DucShep

Postby DucShep » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:20 pm

Agreed but $15 is better then $0.

Lee Hixson

Postby Lee Hixson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:14 am

It's getting absurd--insulting even--how much employers are scavenging around in this economy. They should be ashamed. There was an ad recently for an office tech that, after reading everything they wanted, basically, they wanted an LS, but for tech wages: run crews, prepare staking calcs, research, write legals, draft maps, prepare proposals, even marketing. They stopped just short of expecting you to be crossed-trained as a C.E., architect, and attorney.

Pathetic, IMHO....
R. Lee Hixson, PLS 4806

"Brevity without uncertainty or ambiguity"

David Anaya

Postby David Anaya » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:54 pm

that is exactly how i felt.... I mean c'mon a PC for 13 an hr? I know times are tough and i need to gain experience for my LS, but seriously.

T. S. Higgins

Postby T. S. Higgins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:05 am

It would depend on how they treat the "$15/hour and up" segment. There does seem to be an element of fishing for a cheap rate, but it is possible that if you were to meet their credentials for the ideal candidate, they would offer you something more than the posted rate.

At this point, work is work for a lot of people. Anything above minimum wage starts to look pretty good when you've been sitting on the sidelines for a while.
Tristan S. Higgins, PLS

land butcher

Postby land butcher » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:51 pm

Big business' are driving down the rates of small business'

I know of a couple of companies that normally raise their prices this time of year that sent notices to their subs to lower their rates by 25%.
And have instituted numerous new overhead consuming costs to the subs under the heading "Safety"

Why, because they can.

Return to “Employment Hotline”