JOB CLASSIFICATION: Assistant Surveying Supervisor
[/b]SALARY: $9,771 - $11,312 Monthly
$117,252 - $135,744 Annually
OPENING DATE: Monday, December 24, 2018
CLOSING DATE: Friday, January 18, 2019 by 4:30 p.m.
OPEN TO: General Public
East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD’s) Construction Division, part of the Engineering and Construction Department, is seeking a highly qualified individual with exceptional technical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
The Assistant Surveying Supervisor reports directly to the Surveying Supervisor and oversees staff performing various surveying functions. Responsibilities may include scheduling and supervising up to six survey crews, providing professional direction on boundary surveys and the preparation of Record of Survey maps, or overseeing office support technicians and drafters who use CAD while preparing right-of-way maps and construction stakeout information; preparing legal descriptions, topographic maps, and other survey work products.
The ideal candidate is prepared to:
• Review survey requests; direct the compilation of necessary information prior to field work.
• Schedule and assign survey field crews or survey office staff; prepare time and cost estimates; conduct preliminary investigations.
• Review construction drawings to determine required survey work and provide direction to staff prior to construction surveys.
• Brief the chiefs of party and/or office staff; monitor and report progress of projects and provide solutions for difficult survey issues.
• Supervise and review the reduction and analysis of field data along with the preparation of maps and legal descriptions.
• Contact public agencies and private surveyors to secure survey information.
• Monitor developments in the field of surveying; assist in developing and maintaining computer applications.
• Recommend and implement improved work procedures; assist in directing the training of survey personnel.
• Assist in preparing the section budget; prepare and maintain reports and records as required
• Respond to changing demands with flexibility and innovation.
• Manage and prioritize multiple competing interests with diplomacy and tact.
• Establish and implement performance, safety, and quality control standards.
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
The most competitive candidates will have demonstrated ability to prioritize and schedule multiple staff and crews in order to maintain efficient operations, strong background in Record of Survey preparation, proven leadership skills and abilities, and ability to handle complex technical and other problems.
Candidates must have a minimum combination of education and experience equivalent* to:
1. Possession of a valid California license as a Land Surveyor.
2. Two years of experience as a chief of a field survey party or supervising field or office survey crews.
3. High school graduation, including a course in trigonometry.
4. A valid California driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record.
5. Physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the position.
6. Willingness to work beyond normal work hours when needed.
*An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered by clearly demonstrating employment performed at the level of the typical duties of this position. Coursework in subject areas directly related to this position may be considered for a maximum of one year equivalent experience.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
1. Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at http://www.ebmud.com by 4:30 p.m., Friday, January 11, 2019. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
2. Candidates must achieve a passing score on each test part in order to advance to the next step in the selection process.
3. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, with those candidates receiving a passing score to be invited to a panel interview scheduled for mid-February 2019.
4. Successful candidates will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 to 24 months.
5. The probation period for this position is 12 months. For those holding civil service status the probation period is 6 months.
6. All employment offers are conditional, pending the results of a Live Scan background screening. All selected finalists must participate in the Live Scan background screening process to remain in consideration for EBMUD employment.
The Evaluation of Training and Experience is the first stage of the selection process. Your responses to these supplemental application questions and your regular EBMUD application will be evaluated on a competitive basis and only candidates passing the competitive application review will continue in the selection process. Therefore, you should describe your work experience clearly, thoroughly, and accurately. Be sure to include your employer's name and the time period of the experience you are describing. Be specific and succinct. Your responses should demonstrate your ability to write concise and well-organized documents using correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation. The questions cover a range of work responsibilities. Although you may use the same experience as the basis for answering more than one question, describing a variety of experience will provide the panel with a better understanding of the breadth and depth of your experience. When describing your experience, please confine your remarks to assignments you have personally performed. Should you respond with comments such as “see application” or “see resume” instead of addressing the questions directly, your application may not be considered.
1. Have you completed a high-school level (or higher) course in trigonometry?
2. Do you have two years of experience as a chief of a field survey party or supervising field or office survey crews?
3. Do you have a valid California license as a Land Surveyor?
4. If so, please list your license number.
5. Describe your work experience in all phases of surveying, including Boundary, Control, Topographic, Hydrographic, Legal Descriptions, Record of Surveys, Construction Layout, Pipeline, Dam or Structure Monitoring, and Aerial Mapping.
6. Describe your experience interacting with other agencies to resolve regulatory and permitting issues relating to the Land Surveyors Act and Subdivision Map Act. Be specific as to the issues and how you resolved them.
7. This position is responsible for assisting with managing a staff of 19 to 21 including survey crews and office support personnel. Describe your experience that has prepared you to plan, prioritize, assign, review, and evaluate the work of staff such as those described above. Also, describe a significant example from your work experience that best demonstrates your strong leadership and management skills.
Apply online at https://www.ebmud.com/jobs/
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest