Certificate of Correction

Scott

Certificate of Correction

Postby Scott » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:48 am

A City found a private property PM recorded in 2005 that shows two PUEs and notation that has an empty space to write the PUEs' recording info.
The PUEs recording info never did get filled in on the PM and the PUEs were recorded as the next two docs after the PM was recorded. (PM=DOC-2005-1, PUEs=2005-2 and 2005-3)
Because it was the City's oversite mistake during the recording process, the City wants to file a Certificate of Correction to fill in the PUEs' recording info.

Questions I have:

Does it really need to be fixed? It took me all of about 5 minutes to find the recorded PUE docs, without the info shown on the PM.

Does it matter the PUEs were recorded after the PM?

Would the City Surveyor sign/stamp the Certificate of Correction as the submitting Surveyor and the checking Surveyor? §66470 says "certificate of correction shall be prepared and signed by a registered civil engineer or licensed land surveyor".

For any reason, should the City contact the Surveyor of Record or the Company who originally recorded the PM? The company is still in business, but I don't think the PM Surveyor of Record works there anymore and may be retired.
Scott DeLaMare
LS 8078

Ian Wilson

Re: Certificate of Correction

Postby Ian Wilson » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:31 am

I've seen notes outside the border that were placed by the recording agency after the map had recorded. Those notes usually say "Amended map filed <date> as <recording info>".

The note for these items could well read "PUEs noted hereon recorded <date> as Instrument No. <X> and <date> as Instrument No. <Y>.

Bob's your uncle. The information is directly on the map. No other maps need be filed. No laws are abrogated. Easy Peazy.
Ian Wilson, P.L.S. (CA / NV / CO)
San Mateo County Surveyor

Scott

Postby Scott » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:06 am

Ian, thanks for your reply.

The County is the recording agency, the City was the jurisdiction.
The City does not have ready access to the original Mylars.

And yes Bob is my Uncle and my Grandfather is also a Bob, but how did you know?

http://www.word-detective.com/back-f.html
Scott DeLaMare
LS 8078

Ian Wilson

Postby Ian Wilson » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:03 am

And yes Bob is my Uncle and my Grandfather is also a Bob, but how did you know?

It was in the manual I was given by Ric Moore when I accepted the position of County Surveyor.

I'd have a chat with your friendly County Surveyor.
Ian Wilson, P.L.S. (CA / NV / CO)
San Mateo County Surveyor

dedkad

Postby dedkad » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:03 pm

And that is why I always require that the easements on the map say "by separate document" rather than having blanks to fill in. Those blanks get missed. We include a statement on Sheet 1 of the map listing the documents recording concurrently with the map and the title company fills in the document numbers of those documents. Not sure if other County Recorder's allow this in their counties, but it works well when trying to find document #'s for things like CC&R's, separate easements, etc.

Return to “General Discussion”