Surveyor hit & killed by car in San Diego 9/17/2018

Rob_LS

Surveyor hit & killed by car in San Diego 9/17/2018

Postby Rob_LS » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:16 am

According to news reports, a private sector surveyor, age 73 was stuck and killed by a vehicle in a residential neighborhood in San Diego, south of highway 94 on Monday morning 9/17/2018 shortly before 7:30 AM. As of this morning (9/18/2018) the surveyor's name has not been publicly released. Low sun angle hampering the driver's vision may have contributed to this tragic accident. This is a sad reminder to take the time to evaluate your project site for safety concerns, be aware of changing conditions, and to drive at a speed appropriate for existing conditions.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/39106309/surveyor-struck-killed-by-car-in-emerald-hills

Rob
Last edited by Rob_LS on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edward M Reading

Re: Surveyor hit & killed by car in San Diego 9/17/2018

Postby Edward M Reading » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:43 am

Oh, that is just heartbreaking. Be careful out there people.
Edward M. Reading
SLO County

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Looks like a one person crew. Robotic or cell phone or keyboard distraction?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... story.html

"Edward Dutton of Imperial was crossing the street on Geneva Avenue at Winston Drive in San Diego, surveying a street, when the vehicle hit him shortly before 7:30 a.m., according to police and the county Medical Examiner's Office"

Rob_LS

Postby Rob_LS » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:08 pm

Maybe I do not want to know the answers to these questions, except the last one, but we all might want to ask ourselves all of them.
Does your firm have established and documented safety procedures?
Are established and documented safety procedures something that is included in the training you provide your field crews?
Do your field crews evaluate the safety considerations when arriving on a project site or when conditions or operations change?
Do your office staff have any training before they go out to a project site?
Is field crew safety procedures something that is checked by the field supervisor or the PLS?
Is field safety procedures something that is included in employee evaluations?
Can CLSA help you provide better safety training to your field staff?

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:18 pm

I understand he was in a crosswalk carrying a tripod in the line of sight of the sun and the driver was blinded coming up to him. I do not believe the driver was cited.

btaylor

Postby btaylor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Based on my own experiences with almost getting hit by cars, that morning school rush/"get to work" mentality has to be the most dangerous time. This one happened at 730am. Also, as we approach Fall and Winter that sun gets brighter.

Since I work mostly solo now if I am setting up in the street I don't do that setup until after 9am.

Proud7191

Postby Proud7191 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:33 pm

One of the downfalls of a one man crew. I have saved a few party chiefs as a chairman and been saved a few times by a chairman when distracted. On the other hand I know of a few stories where both crew members were hit. Can’t be careful enough out there. Sorry for his family and loved ones. Jp

Roger5912

Postby Roger5912 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:32 am

I am sorry to have heard this tragic news and extend my deepest sympathy to his family.

At our company we do not use one-man crews because of safety concerns. We do discuss safety every morning, use the CLSA safety manual as our guide and have regular meetings with all office staff.

God bless his family and all surveyors who are out in the field today and every day.

Roger

Semper Fi 713

Postby Semper Fi 713 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:09 pm

I was very saddened to hear about the recent “KIA” Land Surveyor while surveying here in San Diego where I live and still work part time. I agree 100% with comments by Caltrans Land Surveyor Rob McMillan.

I worked for the City of Chula Vista for (26) years. I was the Safety Rep for our Land Surveyors Office and Survey Crew. We had regular Safety meetings and attended Safety Classes taught by Professional Safety People.

For the last (12) years I have worked part-time as a Land Surveying consultant. Only (1) Company (Dokken Engineering) had any type of Safety Program. Steven Heise, myself and others were sent to a Special Safety Program because we worked on the San Diego MTS Trolley Line that will be running new Trolley Lines to the UCSD Area.

One of the main safety problems that I have noticed that is Very Different from my Public Agency Survey Work is that the Private Sector Surveyors HARDLY EVER Use Survey Crew Signs posted on sites where we are working in the Roadway. Yes… That gives the motorist a warning that we are working in the Roadway.

Here’s an article about the Lone surveyor that I also wanted to share.
https://www.pobonline.com/articles/8735 ... e-surveyor

Thank You..
Semper Fi 713 --- Jack Gechter PLS

land butcher

Postby land butcher » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:05 pm

mpallamary wrote:I understand he was in a crosswalk carrying a tripod in the line of sight of the sun and the driver was blinded coming up to him. I do not believe the driver was cited.

If that's the case the driver should be cited.

So it could have been anyone even a kid walking to school, just his poor luck.

More than once while crossing a signalized intersection with the WALK sign someone turning right almost nailed me, sun not a factor, just so intent on turning right they never looked left. One even flipped me off. if you can't see someone 6ft tall with a orange vest and white hat you shouldn't be driving.

Over the years I have attended numerous safety courses and only one touched on things surveyors need to be aware of when working in traffic, that was a Cal Trans safety course open to anyone decades ago but haven't heard of it being offered ever again.

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:16 am

Good comments. We used to take first aid classes also. Yes, I think this accident was a fluke, as best I know. I think because of cell phones and all that jazz, more people are being exposed to situations like this.

pls5528

Postby pls5528 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:44 pm

I am so saddened to hear of the news that one of our brothers died. I have had several close calls in the field myself through the years, and am an advocate of having a crew consist of more than one person. Safety is paramount over budget constraints. May god provide comfort to his family and friends in this time of grief.
God bless him.

PLS7393

Postby PLS7393 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:24 am

Let this post be an eye opener for all!
Luckily I have had formal traffic control training by the State Police during my college days as I was directly involved with traffic control and getting fans out of sporting events (with alcohol involved). This has always been beneficial to me as working in traffic is dangerous. One needs to learn how to have your head on a swivel at all times, direct hand signals, know your escape route, and the best pointer I can give is how one makes eye contact with that approaching driver.

Yes there are techniques to learn, and this is just another topic where CLSA could coordinate state wide training, or maybe even have a traffic safety officer make a presentation at a state conference.

E_Page

Postby E_Page » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:00 pm

Are you volunteering to coordinate such training through CLSA Keith?
Evan Page, PLS
A Certain Forum Essayist

PLS7393

Postby PLS7393 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:29 pm

E_Page wrote:Are you volunteering to coordinate such training through CLSA Keith?

Sorry Evan,
My training and experience was invaluable to the dangers I have dealt with, and feel fortunate enough to have some solid training, but that was 20 years ago, even though I still use much of what I learned. I'm definitely not certified to train others who are not under my direct supervision.

I suggest coordinating with a local PD for a potential hour long presentation (or hands on) training. Traffic control is far more serious than the majority of surveyors (and contractors) take granted for.

Keith Nofield, PLS

Return to “General Discussion”