Peer Review of White Paper

mpallamary

Peer Review of White Paper

Postby mpallamary » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:54 pm

I am seeking candidates to conduct a peer review of a White Paper, myself and others are working on. Is anyone interested is performing such a chore? Here is some information on the peer review process as well as what a White Paper is.

A White paper is an article or "paper" that is focused on a particular topic or subject. The paper is reviewed by others to assure that it is vetted and represents the issue at hand. A White Paper can be a source of reference for others. It is considered a more reliable document, as opposed to an article. A White Paper is often referred to by others when seeking information on a particular topic.

In academic publishing, the goal of peer review is to assess the quality of articles for dissemination of, publication in a scholarly journal. Before an article is deemed appropriate to be published in a peer-reviewed journal, it must undergo the following process:

The author of the article must submit it to the journal editor who forwards the article to experts in the field. Because the reviewers specialize in the same scholarly area as the author, they are considered the author’s peers (hence “peer review”).

These impartial reviewers are charged with carefully evaluating the quality of the submitted manuscript.

The peer reviewers check the manuscript for accuracy and assess the validity of the research methodology and procedures.

If appropriate, they suggest revisions. If they find the article lacking in scholarly validity and rigor, they reject it.

Because a peer-reviewed journal will not publish articles that fail to meet the standards established for a given discipline, peer-reviewed articles that are accepted for publication exemplify the best research practices in a field.

Thank you all for your consideration of this request.

mpallamary

Re: Peer Review of White Paper

Postby mpallamary » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:53 am

Peter Ehlert

Postby Peter Ehlert » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:30 am

What is the subject of your magazine article?
Peter Ehlert

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi Peter,

It is intended as a White Paper as opposed to a formal article. The topic is "Site Plans."

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:07 pm

One of the areas where land surveyors are deficient is in the area of academic treatises. I suspect that is largely due to the fact that many surveyors do not come to the profession through the academic route. That being said, there is no reason surveyors cannot elevate the stature of the profession by doing things like reviewing and publishing white papers. They are an excellent medium for disseminating important information and addressing ambiguous rules, laws, and regulations.

Several years ago, I was involved in a law suit and I introduced one of the white papers authored by Dave Woolley. It proved to be an important document for consideration as it was the only authoritative paper on that particular subject. Moreover, because it had been vetted by a number of licensed land surveyors, as is done with white papers, the court treated it with reverence.

This is a wonderful opportunity to involve oneself in the betterment of the profession. Our voices should be heard, I believe.

Jason Kinnie

Postby Jason Kinnie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:50 pm

I would be happy to do peer review of white papers

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:24 am

Thanks Jason, As soon as we I incorporate the latest revisions I will reach out!

LS_8750

Postby LS_8750 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:45 pm

I wouldn't mind having a look at the white paper, since I deal with site plans on both sides on a regular basis.

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Great! Will send when the latest updates are incorporated.

ekparian

Postby ekparian » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:16 am

Mike,
I don't think I have ever seen a white paper. If you wouldn't mind, i wouldn't mind giving a read as well. I'm not sure of what expertise i could provide.
Drexyl@ce-pls.com.
Thanks,
Drexyl

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:34 am

That would be great! As soon as I incorporate latest edits.

Return to “General Discussion”