Stolen Instrument

Steve Martin

Stolen Instrument

Postby Steve Martin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:27 pm

Leica MS60 s/n 882364 and tripod stolen from the corner of Liberty St. & Moser Ln. El Cerrito 6-30-2020 8:23am

Jim Frame

Re: Stolen Instrument

Postby Jim Frame » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:58 pm

Sorry for the loss. Can you describe the circumstances? I'm always interested in learning what to look out for in order to avoid getting my equipment stolen.
Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616
[url]framesurveying.com[/url]

David Kendall

Postby David Kendall » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8242

Tough break, you guys are throwing craps about twice a year I see.... You have some nice equipment though, did you ever find the rover?

I'm sorry for your loss, that sounds like a helluva way for the field crew to start the day.....

Steve Martin

Postby Steve Martin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:02 pm

The instrument was set up on the street corner in a suburban neighborhood, crew was 50' away, vehicle pulls up, passenger jumps out and throw the instrument and tripod in and drives off.

Can you describe your solution to slow them down again Jim?

David,

Yes, a truck was broken into and a GPD rover, Schonstadt and Hilti drill stolen last year. Other than that, not too many other issues in my career.

Jim Frame

Postby Jim Frame » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:18 pm

I usually loop a 1/8" stainless steel cable through the tribrach and tripod and lock it to something like a street sign, fire hydrant or tree. Since I don't do any forced-center work, when the gun was new I engaged the tribrach lock screw and plugged the screwdriver hole with a small rubber plug, which prevents a thief from simply taking the gun out of the tribrach without breaking it. I carry extra cables in the truck if I need more length, but a 15' cable is generally long enough.

On rare occasions I've had to set up in an area with no stationary objects nearby, and I've used a number of substitutes. I've locked it to my truck a few times, but that always makes me nervous (in case I forget and drive off). I keep a couple of varmint trap anchors in the truck; at a few bucks apiece they're cheap enough to leave behind. I often work in areas where parking isn't available nearby, in which case I use a FoldIt aluminum cart to haul my equipment to the site, and I can lock the gun to that. And one time I couldn't use any of those solutions, so I set up 2 spare tripods next to the gun and locked the whole mess together -- it'd be pretty awkward to haul all that off, even with 2 people.
Jim Frame
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616

PLS7393

Postby PLS7393 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:43 am

Jim,
I like your thinking, but the varmint trap anchors are brilliant!!!
What if you paint them orange for visibility, and advertise look whats here for the thief?
I don't government agencies can use these due to liabilities, cause the crew might get injured, lol.
Keith Nofield, Professional Land Surveying
PLS 7393

Jim Frame

Postby Jim Frame » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:23 am

Note that varmint trap anchors aren't varmint traps, they're just the earth anchors that expose a wire loop above ground as a locking point. No danger to the crew unless they're especially prone to tripping over small things, like dirt clods.
Jim Frame
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616

PLS7393

Postby PLS7393 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:39 am

Thanks Jim,
But I like my thinking a lot better, lol.
Keith Nofield, Professional Land Surveying
PLS 7393

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:58 pm

Jim Frame

Postby Jim Frame » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:23 am

I looked at portable alarms, and even bought a cheap one to evaluate, but concluded that they don't really address the kind of theft we're facing. These guys aren't sneaking away with anything, they're driving up, grabbing the instrument, and driving off. They could yell "I'm stealing your instrument" as they step out of the car and you'd still lose your gun.

I talked to one party chief a couple of years ago who had an S6 set up on a centerline intersection monument. He walked over to the curb to get a DI invert, and as soon as he reached the curb a couple of guys pulled up, one jumped out, threw the gun in the back and off they went. An alarm wouldn't have altered that scenario.
Jim Frame
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:06 am

Got it.

Sad times, indeed.

Whenever I work in a high activity area, I hire a minimum wage person, relative, family friend, to drink coffee and watch the equipment. Funny story. Years ago we were surveying Black's Beach in La Jolla, a nude beach, now pretty much habitated by gay people. We were working on the beach and we had large aerial panels set out on the beach. I needed someone to watch them and so my wife helped. She said it was a very wild day as all these naked guys kept coming over to her asking all kinds of questions about what we were doing "flopping around" I think she said. She sure earned her pay that day!

If interested, check out the attached article.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion”