CSUF Geomatics Conf. - Call for Record of Surveys

PLS7393

CSUF Geomatics Conf. - Call for Record of Surveys

Postby PLS7393 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:40 pm

I had brought this idea up last year at the conference, and been on the phone today with a few surveyors, including Hunter (Conference Chair) and everyone likes the idea. I am putting a call out to all of you to print out one of your record of surveys (single page) that you would like to put on a table for the students to be able to look at and see what all the talk is about.

The conference is for the students, and they do not get the opportunity to see many filed maps during their education, so this will allow them to get a good feeling of what we all do. It may even allow other surveyors to view how others prepare and deliver a map, with notes, comments, narrative, etc.

Hunter said he will have a table available, so here is your chance to help the students even more in their education.

I encourage all surveyors that have filed a map as a private surveyor to print out a copy and deliver a single sheet R.O.S. to the conference next week, even if you are currently a government employee.

DWoolley

Re: CSUF Geomatics Conf. - Call for Record of Surveys

Postby DWoolley » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:21 pm

PLS7393 wrote: ....I am putting a call out to all of you to print out one of your record of surveys (single page) that you would like to put on a table ...

I encourage all surveyors that have filed a map as a private surveyor to print out a copy and deliver a single sheet R.O.S. to the conference next week, even if you are currently a government employee.

[Emphasis added]

PLS7393:

Interesting idea. Unfortunately, I only have a couple of single sheet records of survey out of the few hundred I have filed. Finding a single sheet map would be similar to finding a needle in a haystack. Why the single sheet limit?

DWoolley

PLS7393

Postby PLS7393 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:24 pm

DWoolley wrote:
PLS7393:

Interesting idea. Unfortunately, I only have a couple of single sheet records of survey out of the few hundred I have filed. Finding a single sheet map would be similar to finding a needle in a haystack. Why the single sheet limit?

DWoolley

I didn't want to cluster up the table with large complex maps, but if you have a multi page map you want to bring, I know they would appreciate seeing one of your maps.

Thanks and looking forward to talking with you next week.

Lee Hixson

Postby Lee Hixson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:06 am

And why just RofS maps? Two of my best maps of my entire career happened to be Parcel Maps, the culmination of 40 years of experience and insights.
They involved tons of research and analysis and were anything but straight forward lot divisions.

PLS7393

Postby PLS7393 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:35 am

Lee Hixson wrote:And why just RofS maps? Two of my best maps of my entire career happened to be Parcel Maps, the culmination of 40 years of experience and insights.
They involved tons of research and analysis and were anything but straight forward lot divisions.

The topic is, wait for it . . . . . . Record of Surveys!

Lee Hixson

Postby Lee Hixson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:59 am

This is what I was reacting to:

PLS7393 wrote:The conference is for the students, and they do not get the opportunity to see many filed maps during their education, so this will allow them to get a good feeling of what we all do. It may even allow other surveyors to view how others prepare and deliver a map, with notes, comments, narrative, etc.

"...to get a good feeling of what we all do...with notes, comments, narrative..." These aspects of a map cut across lines between RofS and PMs. The heading of the title block notwithstanding.

PLS7393

Postby PLS7393 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:25 am

Lee Hixson wrote:This is what I was reacting to:

"...to get a good feeling of what we all do...with notes, comments, narrative..." These aspects of a map cut across lines between RofS and PMs. The heading of the title block notwithstanding.

Lee, if you look at the program for the 58th Annual CSUF Geomatics Conference (next week), you will see topics on Record of Surveys, thus the correlation of my efforts. This would be in line with the Geomatics Program class GME 151.

The students always need new presentations (or guest speakers for the curriculum), so maybe next year you can offer to make a presentation on Subdivision Mapping, which relates to GME 159, but remember GME 151 is a prerequisite, lol.

Hope to see you in Fresno next week!

bruce hall

Postby bruce hall » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:11 pm

what is the address to send the map? or must it be hand delivered to the table?

Jim Frame

Postby Jim Frame » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:28 am

Interested in getting one with a §8768 County Surveyor's Note on it? I think I have one of those coming up soon.
Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616
[url]framesurveying.com[/url]

PLS7393

Postby PLS7393 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Jim Frame wrote:Interested in getting one with a §8768 County Surveyor's Note on it? I think I have one of those coming up soon.

Jim and others, I am not presenting a talk or anything other than coordinating with the students to allow them to view a variety of maps that have been prepared and filed from surveyors around the state. If you had gone through the program at Fresno State, you would better understand what they see and learn in class. The idea came after last years talk by individuals attempting to explain a good survey from a weak survey without any examples.

Jim, all filed maps are public records so if you have a map with a note on it, I'm sure there would be some interested in seeing it, and what your CS feels is right. I know there are County Surveyors putting unjustified notes on maps, and feel they have a right to do so. My biggest issue with notes on most RS is the map is suppose to be our opinion, and our opinion only, not the CS (who is suppose to be checking for technicalities only).

land butcher

Postby land butcher » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:35 pm

Here are 3 of mine you could download
Orange County RS 186-30 and RS 143-14
Riverside County RS 98-96 - sectionalized land.

LS_8750

Postby LS_8750 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:41 am

Larry Stevens maps are always a fun study.

PLS7393

Postby PLS7393 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:38 am

Why is it so difficult for surveyors to read an original post on this forum, yet they can read an old deed and understand it?

This is not a witch hunt to pick apart another surveyors map as it appears LS_8750 is suggesting.
I hope you are planning to attend the CSUF Conference and proud enough to deliver one of your simple surveys on how you split curbs around a block, as splitting curbs is not taught to the students in their studies.

LS_8750

Postby LS_8750 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:45 am

Relax Keith.
I'm being sincere.
Larry Stevens maps are usually unparalleled in terms of their depth of research and scope.

land butcher

Postby land butcher » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Splitting curbs, company I worked for in the 70s did a lot of that in Corona del Mar.

I can't deliver one of mine since I won't be going to the conference. just offered a couple of suggestions.

E_Page

Postby E_Page » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:43 am

I agree with Clark. Larry has some of the best researched and documented surveys reflected on his maps of anyone I've known. Good luck trying to pick apart a Stevens map. Can't be done by a competent and honest surveyor.
Evan Page, PLS
A Certain Forum Essayist

Return to “General Discussion”