Subdivision Map Act Question

mpallamary

Subdivision Map Act Question

Postby mpallamary » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:51 am

In 1984, when I was a member of the CLSA Legislative Committee and on the Board of Directors, myself and others spent a lot of time developing the methodology for surveyors to employ when tracing and retracing seismic lines and geologic hazards, so that they could be placed on subdivision maps on a “Non Title” sheet. CLSA sponsored the enabling legislation. I worked with Hal Davis and Paul Cuomo, both deceased, in developing this language. Across the State of California, various cities and counties have developed language of their own to implement these provisions. In San Diego, we provided direction within the city’s mapping manual as follows:

NON-TITLE SHEET STANDARDS
Non-title information, if needed, is shown on the last sheet of the map. Typically, drawings do not have non-title requirements. Non- title information indicates information defined and described as additional survey and map information per the Subdivision Map Act (SMA), which is required to be placed on the map and not intended to affect record title interest. The sheet must show the areas of concern in regards to the lot lines, rights of way, etc.

Dimensions usually are not required. The areas should be hatched and shown in the legend on this sheet. The scale and north arrow should be shown. Additional survey and map information, with their respective symbols, may include but not be limited to:
Fire Hazard Reduction Zones
Proposed Caltrans Right-of-Way
100-year Flood Area
Geologic Faults
Building Restricted Areas

A legend may be shown on the NON-TITLE SHEET to clarify information.

The law was implemented under the Government Code at 66434.2:

(a) On or after January 1, 1987, a city or county may, by ordinance, require additional information to be filed or recorded simultaneously with a final or parcel map. The additional information shall be in the form of a separate document or an additional map sheet which shall indicate its relationship to the final or parcel map, and shall contain a statement that the additional information is for informational purposes, describing conditions as of the date of filing, and is not intended to affect record title interest. The document or additional map sheet may also contain a notation that the additional information is derived from public records or reports, and does not imply the correctness or sufficiency of those records or reports by the preparer of the document or additional map sheet.

(b) Additional survey and map information may include, but need not be limited to: building setback lines, flood hazard zones, seismic lines and setbacks, geologic mapping, and archaeological sites.
(Added by Stats. 1985, Ch. 883, Sec. 2.)
When I and other members of CLSA worked with the late Senator Leroy Greene in developing this area of law, Senator Greene noted:

. . . that licensure or registration of the person transferring additional information shall be consistent with laws regulating professional engineers and land surveyors.

I am seeking examples of maps that were prepared, wherein geologic hazard and seismic lines were plotted. If you have had experience with applying this provision of the map act and/or have any examples, please email them to me at:

mpallamary@pallamaryandassociates.com

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hellsangle

Re: Subdivision Map Act Question

Postby hellsangle » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:57 am

Well, Michael this isn't what you're looking for . . .

But along your line-of-thought - the planning agencies use their GIS layers of where considerations to potential hazard areas may exist.

Crazy Phil - Surveyor to Recorder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warren Smith

Postby Warren Smith » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:07 am

Here is an example of a Flood Hazard Area depicted on a supplemental sheet with appropriate notes.
Warren D. Smith, LS 4842
County Surveyor
Tuolumne County

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 am

Thanks guys!

Phil. Are you allowed to trace that data on to a map?

Warren. Thanks as always!

BrianSpore

Postby BrianSpore » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:14 pm

Michael,
seeing how Hal worked on it there is a chance that a map done within the city limits of Hayward might have something on it, I will try and look though our files when I get a chance and am back in the office on Tuesday.

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:37 pm

Thanks buddy! I appreciate it. That would be wonderful.

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:03 pm

I found a couple of the plats Hal Davis gave to me. These show detailed faults in and around Hayward. Given the specific provision wherein surveyors can plot/trace these things for a subdivision map, do these documents appear to satisfy that kind of mapping?

Thanks all.

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:15 pm

Here is an excerpt from the large paper Hal Davis shared with me and, as was used to link together surveying and mapping fault lines. Would everyone feel comfortable using this kind of data to trace a fault line onto as survey as provided for under the SMA?

Rob_LS

Postby Rob_LS » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:31 am

Hi Mike,

In response to your question to Phil.
Are you allowed to trace that data on to a map?

I suspect no "tracing" is required. These types of data sets should be public GIS layers that can be imported into a surveyor's CAD software for depiction on a subdivision map.

Thanks for bringing up these interesting topics!

Rob McMillan

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:55 am

Thanks! I agree.

Do you believe importing these maps constitutes the practice of geology?

LS_8750

Postby LS_8750 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:23 am

I'd say Warren's parcel map example is a good one.

For the riparian zone and the FEMA floodplain I'd also add something to the effect, "line show is diagrammatic only, actual limits of riparian and/or FEMA floodplain areas may be dynamic and should be field located by qualified professional."

Floodplains and riparian zones tend to shift with increasing urbanization.
Clark E. Stoner, PE, PLS
Bear Flag Engineering, Inc.
Sonoma County
Santa Cruz County
tel. 707.996.8449 (Sonoma) or 831.477.9215 (Santa Cruz)
clark@bearflagcivil.com

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:36 am

Yes, thanks!

Warren Smith

Postby Warren Smith » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:17 am

Typically, the County Flood Plain Administrator will have a report on file, which can be referred to on the supplemental sheet.
Warren D. Smith, LS 4842
County Surveyor
Tuolumne County

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:03 am

Yes! perfect! Thanks! Does anyone have any thoughts on geology issues?

Return to “General Discussion”