Line Curve Tables

Scott

Line Curve Tables

Postby Scott » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:45 pm

I really don't like Line/Curve Tables.
I avoid them until there is no other choice.
I would rather see the annotation where it belongs, especially if there is plenty of room.
In the old days, developers wanted to see, at a minimum, the length of the lot lines shown on the lot lines, be it curve or line.
Opinions?
Scott DeLaMare
LS 8078

dharri

Re: Line Curve Tables

Postby dharri » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:28 pm

I believe that the extensive use of line/curve data tables on maps today is an indication of an inappropriate map scale. Fifty years ago, when computer generated maps first came on the scene, the tables were necessary because of the limitations of that early technology. With the CADD technology that we have available today, I believe that line/curve data tables are unnecessary.

Brian Christensen

Postby Brian Christensen » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:33 pm

Its a case of "Where's Waldo"... Drives me nuts! The best is when you have a multi-sheet survey and the table is on the first sheet only (instead of a truncated table of lines and curves that pertain to a particular sheet).
Brian Christensen, PLS, CMS
Siskiyou County Surveyor

hellsangle

Postby hellsangle » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:42 pm

I hear ya, Brian and Scott!

I hate the "R1" etc. as much. Same with the "numbered" monument descriptions. But sometimes you have to do it the obfuscated way . . . searching sheet to sheet . . . back 'n forth. (Do some do it that way to cause more "billable" hours for the map reviewers?)

Carry on gang . . . wear the mask . . . 'n get the shot.

Crazy Phil - Surveyor to Recorder

Dave Lindell

Postby Dave Lindell » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:32 pm

I hate them too. I recently checked a Parcel Map that was four sheets: a title page, two map pages, and the entire sheet 4 was all line and curve tables, with curves numbered to 63 and lines numbered to 207, even when the line had room to annotate the bearing and distance.

RAM

Postby RAM » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:13 am

Doesn't brother me at all. Sometimes cleans up the map. Just another way of doing it. the method has been used in my area for along time, pre dates CAD, i have several large subdivision maps in the mid 60's, all hand drafted, that have 2 or 3 pages of nothing by data.

Scott

Postby Scott » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:28 am

Yes, it does pre-date CAD, didn't like 'em then and still don't.
If there is room to annotate, I see no good reason for a table.

Makes it more difficult to find the Lot dimensions/areas, especially for a layperson.

It also does very much make it more difficult and time-consuming to check.
Try checking one map with only tables to a previous map with the same courses, also all tables, but with different designation numbers. It is like I have a running 8-hour Bingo game going in my head with only C's, L's, R's, & A's for the letter call-outs!
Scott DeLaMare
LS 8078

Return to “General Discussion”