Site Plan Requirements by Ordinance or Policy

DWoolley

Site Plan Requirements by Ordinance or Policy

Postby DWoolley » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:43 am

Awhile back a surveyor commented on this forum about the need for a land surveyor requirement enforced by the planning agency or building department in accepting site plans. Rather than look for the thread I have opted to post the requirements for the City of Laguna Beach (same as Newport Beach) that I believe should be in every jurisdiction.

The attached site plan requirements clearly states the corners will be monumented and a record of survey or corner record filed with the county. Every surveyor should push their local jurisdiction to adopt similar requirements.

DWoolley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RAM

Re: Site Plan Requirements by Ordinance or Policy

Postby RAM » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:37 am

I can see the need in urban areas on small lots, but not applicable in rural areas. I could not support that in my jurisdiction as a blanket requirement. If applied to parcel size and relative to min. setbacks, I could support but try telling the owner of 400 ac. they have to have a survey to prove a 500 foot building setback, na don't think so.
CA is not a one size fits all state. A lot of us work in feet not inches. We don't have curb and gutter, we don't have sidewalks, and the overall belief is less government is better.

As a public administrator who takes public complaints, I get it, we are here to protect the public. For some jurisdictions, yes good idea, for ALL, doesn't work.

Peter Ehlert

Postby Peter Ehlert » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:13 am

RAM wrote:I can see the need in urban areas on small lots, but not applicable in rural areas. I could not support that in my jurisdiction as a blanket requirement. If applied to parcel size and relative to min. setbacks, I could support but try telling the owner of 400 ac. they have to have a survey to prove a 500 foot building setback, na don't think so.
CA is not a one size fits all state. A lot of us work in feet not inches. We don't have curb and gutter, we don't have sidewalks, and the overall belief is less government is better.

As a public administrator who takes public complaints, I get it, we are here to protect the public. For some jurisdictions, yes good idea, for ALL, doesn't work.

+1
Peter Ehlert

hellsangle

Postby hellsangle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:27 pm

+2

LS_8750

Postby LS_8750 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:12 am

+3

But also note that the $30 million tear down and rebuilds in Palo Alto in 130 year old neighborhoods, for example, are happening without the benefit of a record of survey...

At the discretion of the Planning Director........

Return to “General Discussion”