EBMUD Job Title: Survey Technician I
Salary Info: $75,240 - $91,452 Annually, Plus Excellent Benefits + Retirement
Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, June 25, 2018
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, July 6, 2018
ONLY the first 240 qualified application materials will be accepted online by the
Recruitment Division during the filing period.
Internal Reference # 18-077
East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD’s) Construction Division, part of the Engineering and Construction Department, is seeking a highly qualified individual with exceptional technical, interpersonal and communication skills. Under close supervision, a Survey Technician I works as a member of a two- or three-person survey crew, or in a survey office performing survey duties including:
• Assisting in locating, uncovering, and setting control points by following directions from the Chief of Party.
• Marking construction stakes using spray paint or magic marker.
• Setting up tripods or other survey targets over a point to provide a back sight for the survey instrument.
• Using a rod level to plumb a rod.
• Clearing line by cutting brush, branches, and/or vegetation with the appropriate tools such as a machete, brush hook or hand axe.
• Walking through rough terrain and carrying equipment such as tripods, bags of wood, and sledge hammers.
• Entering confined spaces.
• Using cloth or steel tape to measure distance.
• Manually operating metal detectors to locate metal objects.
• Maintaining survey equipment and hand tools.
• Checking field notes in order to verify level runs.
• Researching survey maps, deeds, and field notes.
• Maintaining daily activity and job logs.
• Checking surveillance forms of completed jobs.
• Filing completed jobs and field books by category and type.
• Performing calculations as directed by the Assistant Survey Supervisor.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
The most competitive candidates will have knowledge of mathematics up to and including trigonometry, traffic and construction safety principles and practices at the job site; will be physically able to climb structures such as ladders, trees, and barbed wire fences to get to the work site or clear the work site; handle and physically transport survey equipment such as prisms and tribrachs; read measuring tapes and find the punch mark on a monument; perform physical labor such as mixing concrete, digging holes, setting points, etc.; work outside in a variety of weather conditions, where temperatures can range from freezing to over 100°; walk extensively over rough terrain; ability to operate hand tools.; effectively interact with people, even in strained or hostile circumstances; follow oral instructions; read maps; perform arithmetic calculations using a calculator; work outdoors with possible exposure to rattlesnakes, ticks, and poison oak; and read calibrated graduations in order to read survey rods and other measuring devices.
The salary range is $6,270 per month increasing to $6,583, $6,912, $7,258 and $7,621 after 6, 18, 30, and 42 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
Completion of the twelfth grade, or its equivalent, including or supplemented by a course in trigonometry.
Must possess a valid California driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record. Willing to work outdoors under a variety of geographic and climatic conditions, and around various outdoor hazards such as poison oak. Must possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the position including strength and stamina to lift and carry survey equipment for distances up to a mile over steep and rugged terrain. May be required on a scheduled basis to be clean shaven as required to wear respiratory protection equipment. Must be willing to work overtime, or out-of-town as needed.
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com/jobs by 4:30 p.m., Friday, July 6, 2018. ONLY the first 240 qualified application materials will be accepted by the Recruitment Division online at www.ebmud.com during the filing period.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability
Job Hotline: (510) 287-0742
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests