Protecting our licensed practice

mpallamary

Protecting our licensed practice

Postby mpallamary » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:39 am

Are any efforts being made to protect the practice of land surveying in California? They are taking some progressive actions in Mississippi. Does anyone care? Does CLSA have a position on this topic?

https://www.techspot.com/news/75439-mis ... state.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve Martin

Re: Protecting our licensed practice

Postby Steve Martin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:45 am

The Operating Engineers and CELSA are taking action...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hellsangle

Postby hellsangle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:47 am

Hmmmmm do you smell fish?

Phil - Sonoma

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks guys. Is there any reason CLSA is not in front of this and being more aggressive?

Nothing for nothing but it is rather depressing to see that Mississippi is more aggressive than California. I am going to write an article about this. Is there anyone associated with CLSA or the BOD who is willing to offer any comments?

Is there any reason CLSA is not in front of this and being more aggressive?

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:07 am

David Kendall

Postby David Kendall » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 am

The boards could levy a larger fine if they tried it on Google.

That law is now irrelevant in PA. Applying it in that manner is a bit silly in my opinion. I’m relieved that our board is too busy to worry about such nonsense

I know a few cub scouts we could string up next.... they have not yet earned the surveying badge but they are making maps

Paul Goebel

Postby Paul Goebel » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:52 am

I attended a CLSA meeting where Pat Tami, NCEES president gave a very good presentation about this topic. Professional licenses are under attack all over the United States as part of campaign aimed at deregulation.

David Kendall

Postby David Kendall » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:53 am

I’m attending that presentation tomorrow night. Currently I don’t feel that it is practical to try to regulate all mapping in order to protect our practice. I’ll bet the more we try to do that then the more ridiculous we appear as professionals and this could lead to more cries for deregulation.

If Tami changes my opinion on this I will report back but I don’t understand the value of an enforcement action such as the case presented.

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:46 am

As I have said before and editorialized about several times, we are under assault from the GIS community. They are large and powerful and they need a way to validate themselves. They are doing that by breaking down the definition of surveying while restructuring the definition so it includes them and what they do. They need a path to licensure. Sadly, and across the country, the state licensing boards are not unified in their efforts to protect the profession, nor are the state associations. They remain interested in handing out plaques to each other and chicken dinners. Meanwhile, Rome burns.

We lost GIS and are losing GPS.

The question is, does anyone care?

What are we, as an association doing?

Yes, this is a challenge.

David Kendall

Postby David Kendall » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:55 pm

mpallamary wrote:We lost GIS and are losing GPS.

The question is, does anyone care?

What are we, as an association doing?

Yes, this is a challenge.

I assert that this phenomenon is more a result of changing technology and prevalence of same in everyday life than a conspiracy by another industry to undermine our profession.

They still can’t put a boundary line on the ground or interpret a legal description with certainty.

Good riddance to the approximations. That’s called engineering design. When they get close enough to a property line they call a surveyor.

I won’t speak for the profession but I’m making a personal decision to accept this fact, adapt, embrace the efficiency of the new methods and move forward. There is plenty of boundary work right now and a few other problems to seek solutions in which I may have more sway.

The trick for me is finding a way to make it pay

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:01 am

As you can see, they are essentially putting lines on the ground..

Return to “General Discussion”