A call to arms

mpallamary

A call to arms

Postby mpallamary » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:53 pm

I would like to ask that the Board of Directors consider sending a response to the Bloomberg article. Is there any reason we cannot weigh in on this topic?

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... h-startups

Pulley

Re: A call to arms

Postby Pulley » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:15 am

I completely agree. After I read that article, both CLSA and NSPS need to weigh in and make the point what a survey really entails. Unfortunately, the request should be made to ExCom so the letter is available for review by the next Board meeting in November, which is a long time to wait to respond.

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:05 pm

Agreed. It is situations like this that the EXCOMM should be able to call an emergency meeting and act immediately.

Is anyone listening?

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:14 pm

July 31, 2018
From: Michael Pallamary, California Licensed Land Surveyor
To: Bloomberg
Re: “Land Surveyors are Paying the Price of Progress” by: Stephen L. Carter

Stephen Carter is a writer of fiction and a professor of law at Yale University. He has taught courses on law, religion, the ethics of war, contracts, evidence, and professional responsibility. He blogs about professional football for the Washington Post.

It is unfortunate he has not studied real property law.

His recent article in Bloomberg is yet another reminder of the disconnect associated with ivory tower academia – hopelessly out of touch with reality.
Carter’s dismissive discourse about “drawing lines on a map” is possibly one of the greatest examples of intellectual ignorance I have ever encountered. Equating Land Surveyors with Uber drivers is akin to comparing a back-country seamstress with a surgeon at John Hopkins Hospital.

After all, both use thread.

Mr. Carter’s perception about the needs of a real estate professional are not surprising, given his expertise in such things as The Etiquette of Democracy, Cleaning up the Federal Appointments Process, and How American Law and Politics Trivialize Religious Devotion.
Notwithstanding Mr. Carter’s unfamiliarity with real property law, he would have to agree that real estate is the foundation of the world economy. Indeed, the single greatest asset of all Americans is their home and, it is for this reason, that Land Surveyors are licensed to define the limits of real property. Land is expensive: The median price of currently listed homes in San Francisco is $1.3 million. In Manhattan, the median is $1.4 million.
According to Carter, “The major disruption will come when the big banks move. When those who finance big projects and big houses decide that a report that relies on GPS mapping is sufficient to mark the metes and bounds of a property, the rising tide of demand will swamp local regulatory resistance.”

This is the same kind of thinking that led to the savings and loss crisis in the eighties and nineties when, more than 1,600 federally insured banks were closed or received FDIC financial assistance and the number of federally insured savings and loans in the United States declined from 3,234 to 1,645 due, primarily due to unsound real estate lending. In many instances, these failed loans were associated with fast and fraudulent real estate lending; banks and lending institutions failed to obtain properly certified surveys and far too many loans were issued on properties with encroachments and questionable ownership, all of which would have been disclosed with a properly certified survey. According to the U.S. General Accounting Office, the estimated cost of the crisis amounted to $160 billion. Clearly, to dismiss the importance of Land Surveyors is sort of like consulting with a seamstress about such things as vascular surgery, ardiothoracic surgery, and neurological surgery. After all, they both use thread.

Michael Pallamary is a Professional Land Surveyor with offices in La Jolla, California. He has been surveying real property since 1971 and he is the author of numerous treatises and books on land surveying and land planning issues. He has testified in more than 100 cases on land surveying matters.

He can be reached at mpallamary@pipeline.com.

He did not graduate from Yale.

pls5528

Postby pls5528 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks Mike! Great response

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:00 am

It is disappointing that CLSA did not take the opportunity to weigh in on the Bloomberg article. This was a missed opportunity for California Surveyors to have a voice in a national debate on land surveying. Indeed, this was low-hanging fruit.

Once again, I ask if any efforts have been made with public relations. What happened to the overwhelming support to make a right of entry video?

http://www.amerisurv.com/newsletter/08AUG2018.htm

DWoolley

Postby DWoolley » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:01 am

Mike Pallamary:

I believe I understand your perspective. However, CLSA cannot respond to anything quickly - it is simply a matter of logistics. The Board of Directors only meets quarterly. The best possible scenario would be for a triggering event, such as the referenced article, to happen 30 days prior to a board meeting, a member contacts a Director and places it on the agenda for action and then, a letter is written for signature. The elapsed time being 5 weeks, best case scenario.

The referenced article came out on July 19th, the board meeting was July 28th. This means the earliest response would be the first week of November. Last year the Orange County chapter had a motion to have more frequent meeting to make the association more effective. The motion failed.

The Executive Committee can act between meetings. As a Director I prefer the Executive Committee does not to act on anything of substance without board approval. Based on recent voting this appears to be the preference of the majority of the Directors. Alternatively, in the event something has to be done in between meetings, the president can call a special meeting to assemble the board for an approval.

DWoolley

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Thank you and understood. I viewed this as a unique opportunity for the association.

I appreciate the reply. I will continue to do what I can, when I can, to the best of my ability.

That being said, based upon the Bloomberg article, it is clear surveyors have a very serious public relations problem. Perhaps that is something that could be discussed at a future meeting.

Also, there has been overwhelming support for a video regarding right of entry. That is also a good topic for a future meeting. That could also serve as a magnificent public relations tool.

Proud7191

Postby Proud7191 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:48 pm

NSPS 'News & Views' had a nice rebuttal letter to Bloomberg! Check it out here, http://www.multibriefs.com/briefs/nsps/ ... 080818.pdf

Good day, Jon

Peter Ehlert

Postby Peter Ehlert » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Great article, well written.
Thanks
Peter Ehlert

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Yes, I was aware that was coming out. I have been in touch with Gary on the reply. I had hoped CLSA would have done something like I said.

Return to “General Discussion”