Multiple Iterations of Map Reviews

PLS7393

Multiple Iterations of Map Reviews

Postby PLS7393 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:16 am

Is it a common practice throughout the state for your County Surveyor to send a second check with new comments on a corner record, or additional comments on a RS?

I'm talking about technical review comments which should have been asked with the first review, if they are truly worth asking.
New comments are brought up by the CS because he performs his own review after county staff reviews the map, returns redline copy, and the surveyor revises the map per comments. I've been told in the past (by county staff) that the CS does not review the map until it is on his desk for signature.

As I have over 14 years of map review experience (City, County, and private consultant), for a county to take 2-3 months to review and process a simple CR is beyond me, and very frustrating to my clients.

Warren Smith

Re: Multiple Iterations of Map Reviews

Postby Warren Smith » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:34 am

I have 28 years of map review experience and, no, it is neither efficient nor equitable to withhold first review by the approving LS until after a first round of staff review and resubmittal. I have always "reviewed the review" before sending comments back to the submitting surveyor.
Warren D. Smith, LS 4842
County Surveyor
Tuolumne County

E_Page

Postby E_Page » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:40 pm

Keith,

Recall a particular RS and a CR, both by the same surveyor for parcels about a block apart when you were on the reviewing side. As I recall, the RS had so many serious issues that a second set of comments was inevitable. Also as I recall, there were something like 5 or 6 rounds of comments on the RS and 2 or 3 on the CR, with the RS filed with a CS comment due to remaining deficiencies and false info. I'm sure you recall that one.

Unfortunately, there are enough surveyors practicing who will turn in a map that is closer to say, the 3rd check of that particular map I'm referring to than they are to a clear, complete, and technically competent depiction of a proper survey.

Even diligent surveyors might occasionally get a 2nd set of comments on a complicated or multi-page RS. But if you're talking about a fairly straightforward boundary without the complications or the numerous deficiencies that might legitimately cause a reviewer to miss one or more issues on the 1st go-round, then it's a problem at the reviewer's end. If the CS can't rely on his/her staff to consistently catch all issues on a submittal, then, as Warren says, the review should be reviewed before it is sent back to the LS who performed the survey.
Evan Page, PLS
A Certain Forum Essayist

David Kendall

Postby David Kendall » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:33 pm

PLS7393 wrote:Is it a common practice throughout the state for your County Surveyor to send a second check with new comments on a corner record, or additional comments on a RS?

I'm talking about technical review comments which should have been asked with the first review, if they are truly worth asking.

It is common practice. It’s pathetic but true. In some counties and cities it is almost a guarantee that will happen.

PLS7393

Postby PLS7393 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:32 am

E_Page wrote:Keith,

Recall a particular RS and a CR, both by the same surveyor for parcels about a block apart when you were on the reviewing side. As I recall, the RS had so many serious issues that a second set of comments was inevitable. Also as I recall, there were something like 5 or 6 rounds of comments on the RS and 2 or 3 on the CR, with the RS filed with a CS comment due to remaining deficiencies and false info. I'm sure you recall that one.

Yes Evan, but these multiple iterations were due to information changing on the re-submitted map. When I reviewed maps, I would only look at the red line comments to see if they were revised on the second check. I would not look for new issues, as the first review was considered thorough. Very seldom would I see something that jumped out which would require additional time to review, and I can recall this happening less than 10 times over 14 years.

The current CR is a simple "Fill-In" 3 lot parcel map between two tracts. The new comments pertain to the two rear corners I set at an offset, because the property backs up to a school and there are two fences along the rear line. The parcel map I am retracing, did not set the NE corner, and the NW corner was set at an offset on the side property line (guessing due to the rear fences). My NW corner was set at a 1' x 1' offset due to a block wall/fence built along the side property line.

As the original post states: "New comments are brought up by the CS because he performs his own review after county staff reviews the map, returns redline copy, and the surveyor revises the map per comments."

PLS7393

Postby PLS7393 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Update to the current CR still under review.

Since I have not heard any reply from multiple emails to the CS over the past two weeks about his review process, I sent yet another email last night.
He replied that my assumptions are wrong and " It is on you that you send the card stock before the map is reviewed."

I did not know cardstocks are required before he gets to review. In the past he said to send check prints, hmmmmm. Wait till next month and the process will change again.

What a joke, three months and counting!!!

Return to “General Discussion”