STATE BOARD LETTERS AND COMMUNICATIONS

mpallamary

STATE BOARD LETTERS AND COMMUNICATIONS

Postby mpallamary » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:00 am

As part of my archiving procedures, I came across a couple of state board letters/opinions. I also came across an Attorney General Opinion. The Corner Record opinion is undated but is noted as being produced when Ronald Reagan was governor, placing it somewhere between 1971 and 1975. I found the statement from the Board letter interesting:

"It should be recognized that there is no wholly effective way to force a surveyor to prepare and file a corner record. An atmosphere of cooperation is strongly advocated to provide a climate wherein the surveyor is willing to prepare and file the corner record, and wherein the receiving official will accept it willingly. The program will probably not be effective of the climate becomes adversarial or hostile, between the various involved parties."

It is for this reason the San Diego Chapter of CLSA started the first JPPC and laid the foundation for the rest of the state. At that time, we worked very closely with the state board and others. Many of us were attacked for pressing this issue - the filing of survey records. In the end, the right thing was done and the entire association benefited.

As of today, here in San Diego, we have 43,320 Corner Record on file and 23,208 Record of Survey Maps. This would not have been done if not for the devotion of many people over many hard and long hours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mpallamary on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

land butcher

Re: STATE BOARD LETTERS AND COMMUNICATIONS

Postby land butcher » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:23 am

Interesting, glad they had that attitude. Unfortunately as the fees rise the filing of CRs and RSs will decline along with the number of lot surveys done due to the high cost to the land owner, a fact that govt cannot understand.

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:05 pm

I agree. History is always interesting, especially with regards to the things we do!

btaylor

Postby btaylor » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:46 pm

FYI the CR opinion date is probably 1973-1974. Reagan was governor 67-75.

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:36 am

You are correct! Forgive me! I was citing his presidency!

Thanks much!!!!1

Stephen Johnson

Postby Stephen Johnson » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:29 am

mpallamary wrote:As part of my archiving procedures, I came across a couple of state board letters/opinions. I also came across an Attorney General Opinion. The Corner Record opinion is undated but is noted as being produced when Ronald Reagan was governor, placing it somewhere between 1981 and 989. I found the statement from the Board letter interesting:

"It should be recognized that there is no wholly effective way to force a surveyor to prepare and file a corner record. An atmosphere of cooperation is strongly advocated to provide a climate wherein the surveyor is willing to prepare and file the corner record, and wherein the receiving official will accept it willingly. The program will probably not be effective of the climate becomes adversarial or hostile, between the various involved parties."

It is for this reason the San Diego Chapter of CLSA started the first JPPC and laid the foundation for the rest of the state. At that time, we worked very closely with the state board and others. Many of us were attacked for pressing this issue - the filing of survey records. In the end, the right thing was done and the entire association benefited.

As of today, here in San Diego, we have 43,320 Corner Record on file and 23,208 Record of Survey Maps. This would not have been done if not for the devotion of many people over many hard and long hours.

Mike,
Those years coincide with the years he was PRESIDENT, not governor.
Stephen Johnson, PLS 6303

Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison.

Stop Repeat Offenders!!! Quit ReElecting Them!!!

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:13 am

Yes, thanks! That was pointed out by another contributor.

PLS9196

Postby PLS9196 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:34 pm

Excellent reading material. Thank You

Rob_LS

Postby Rob_LS » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:17 pm

land butcher wrote:Interesting, glad they had that attitude. Unfortunately as the fees rise the filing of CRs and RSs will decline along with the number of lot surveys done due to the high cost to the land owner, a fact that govt cannot understand.

Every licensed professional should be aware of the requirements for filing a Record of Survey, and be able to professionally discuss the requirements with their clients. A licensed professional who fails to file a Corner Record or Record of Survey in order to save their client the "exorbitant Government fees" does a disservice to themselves, their clients and the profession. The cost of filing (Now $523 for 1 sheet, +$71 for each additional in San Diego County) is minuscule compared to the cost of litigation due to poor decisions and lack documentation to show those who follow in their footsteps exactly where the surveyor walked. I bet the poor homeowners who bought the tiny, nearly unlivable, beachfront parcels mentioned in a discussion a few weeks ago would rather have paid the R of S fees TWO HUNDRED times over, rather than the attorney fees they incurred. Yes, they would have been money ahead if they had paid $100,000 in R of S checking fees.

I heard this from a land surveying mentor: “Always, always, always perform your surveys in anticipation there will be litigation and everything you do will be audited, scrutinized, and critiqued and if you made a mistake, you will be sued.” I know at least one poster on this forum will know who told me this...

Warren Smith

Postby Warren Smith » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:03 am

Rob,
I do know who told you that, and it is sage advice.
Warren D. Smith, LS 4842
County Surveyor
Tuolumne County

Return to “General Discussion”