Consider a Drafting Service?

Would you consider using a California based drafting service that’s managed by a PLS?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 5

khuerth

Consider a Drafting Service?

Postby khuerth » Fri May 17, 2019 10:51 am

I’ve had an idea kicking around my head for some time and was curious if any Surveyors would use a drafting company that was managed by a PLS to draft their maps.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle Huerth

Peter Ehlert

Re: Consider a Drafting Service?

Postby Peter Ehlert » Fri May 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Sure, why not.
Keeping an eye on the Responsible Charge criteria per the opinion of the Board would always be a concern...
There is a very Fine line between drafting and decision making.

BTW: it seems some local agencies have weird spins on map format and content... Familiarity with the locals would be a selling point.
Peter Ehlert

khuerth

Postby khuerth » Sat May 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Peter Ehlert wrote:BTW: it seems some local agencies have weird spins on map format and content... Familiarity with the locals would be a selling point.

Yeah, the difference between the two counties I work in is remarkable.

I know some PLS's in smaller shops that are doing there own drafting and it seems it would be better to spend that time on the million other things that need to be done. It's also hard to find anyone with CAD experience anymore and thought this could be a good service.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Mr. Smith

Postby Mr. Smith » Mon May 20, 2019 8:45 am

I started out as a hand Draftsman, for me the mapping is the fun part and I get it how I want it.

Khuerth, you may be on to a successful niche that is needed as drafting/mapping skills
become more rare.

45 years ago drafting class (mechanical, civil, topographic and architectural) was mandatory all three years of high school.

Return to “General Discussion”