JOB CLASSIFICATION: Survey Technician I
SALARY: $6,508 - $7,911 Monthly
$78,096 - $94,932 Annually
OPENING DATE: Monday, August 26, 2019
CLOSING DATE: Friday, September 6, 2019 by 4:30 p.m.
OPEN TO: General Public
ONLY the first 240 qualified application materials will be accepted by the Recruitment Division online at http://www.ebmud.com during the filing period.
Note that the study guide will be available online ONLY; candidates are responsible for printing the study guide. Please click HERE to download the Survey Technician I study guide.
East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD’s) Construction Division, part of the Engineering and Construction Department, is seeking a highly qualified individual with exceptional technical, interpersonal and communication skills. Under close supervision, a Survey Technician I works as a member of a two- or three-person survey crew, or in a survey office performing survey duties including:
• Assisting in locating, uncovering, and setting control points as directed by the Chief of Party.
• Marking construction stakes using spray paint or magic marker.
• Setting up tripods or other survey targets over a point.
• Using a rod level to plumb a rod over a point.
• Clearing line by cutting brush, branches, and/or vegetation with the appropriate tools such as a machete, brush hook or hand axe.
• Walking through rough terrain and carrying equipment such as tripods, bags of wood, and sledge hammers.
• Entering confined spaces following established safety protocols.
• Using cloth or steel tape to measure distance.
• Manually operating metal detectors to locate metal objects.
• Maintaining survey equipment and hand tools.
• Checking field notes in order to verify level runs and other information.
• Researching survey maps, deeds, and field notes.
• Maintaining daily activity and job logs.
• Checking surveillance forms of completed monitoring surveys.
• Filing completed surveys and field books by category and type.
• Performing calculations as directed by the Assistant Survey Supervisor.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
• Mathematics up to and including trigonometry.
• Traffic and construction safety principles and practices at the job site.
Physically able to:
• Climb structures such as ladders, trees, and barbed wire fences.
• Handle and physically transport survey equipment such as prisms and tribrachs.
• Read measuring tapes, and stamping on survey monuments.
• Perform physical labor such as mixing concrete, digging holes, setting points, etc.
• Work outside in a variety of weather conditions where temperatures can range from freezing to over 100°.
• Walk extensively over rough terrain.
• Operate hand tools.
• Effectively interact with people, even in adverse circumstances.
• Follow oral instructions.
• Read maps.
• Perform arithmetic calculations using a calculator.
• Work outdoors with possible exposure to rattlesnakes, ticks, and poison oak.
• Learn to use a computer tracking system.
• Learn to use filing systems related to surveying.
• Learn EBMUD policies and procedures.
• Drive an EBMUD vehicle in a safe and courteous manner.
• Learn to read and interpret maps, drawings, and charts.
• Learn basic surveying principles to assist in the scope of survey work.
• Read calibrated graduations in order to read survey rods and other measuring devices.
The salary range is $6,508 per month increasing to $6,833, $7,175, $7,534 and $7,911 after 6, 18, 30, and 42 months, respectively.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital or registered domestic partnership status, age for individuals over forty years of age, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental or physical, including AIDS and HIV), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, sexual orientation, military and veterans status, family or medical leave status, pregnancy, pregnancy disability leave status, or any other status protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
1. Completion of the twelfth grade, or its equivalent, including or supplemented by a course in trigonometry.
2. Possession of a valid California driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
Other requirements: Willing to work outdoors under a variety of geographic and climatic conditions, and around various outdoor hazards such as poison oak. Must possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the position including strength and stamina to lift and carry survey equipment for distances up to a mile over steep and rugged terrain. May be required on a scheduled basis to be clean shaven as required to wear respiratory protection equipment. Must be willing to work overtime, or out-of-town as needed.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered. To be considered under the “equivalent combination of education and experience” provision, it is your responsibility to include in your application materials written evidence of employment performed at the level of the typical duties of this position and/or coursework in subject areas directly related to this position. For more information, see our FAQ page at http://www.ebmud.com/jobs/job-resources ... questions/.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
1. Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at http://www.ebmud.com by 4:30 p.m., Friday, September 6, 2019. Only the first 240 qualified application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
2. Candidates must achieve a passing score on each test part in order to advance to the next step in the selection process.
3. Candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be invited to the written test, tentatively scheduled for Saturday, September 28, 2019. The study guide will be available online during the recruitment period; candidates are responsible for printing the study guide and viewing the maps during this period. The study guide will continue to be available on http://www.governmentjobs.com. You will need to use your Government Jobs log-in to download the study guide after the recruitment closes.
4. Those candidates passing the written test will be invited to the next step in the selection process, a panel interview. This step is tentatively scheduled for mid-October 2019.
5. Successful candidates will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill regular and temporary vacancies that occur during the next 12 to 24 months.
6. The probation period for this position is 12 months. For those holding civil service status the probation period is 6 months.
7. All employment offers are conditional, pending the results of a Live Scan background screening. All selected finalists must participate in the Live Scan background screening process to remain in consideration for EBMUD employment.
Note that the study guide will be available online ONLY; candidates are responsible for printing the study guide.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests