Scams

LS8775

Scams

Postby LS8775 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Over the last month I've gotten 2 emails from 'potential clients' looking to have a property line located or a small topo done. The locations have been different but both are lots that they are in process of purchasing, Iots listed on the MLS. After going through the process of giving them an estimate they tell me they have an issue with the ex-owner. They want me to take their deposit by credit card, and will give me the money to pay them also. Anyone else getting these? Both of these 'leads' have come from this site too.

Jim Frame

Re: Scams

Postby Jim Frame » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:56 pm

I had one. It seemed legit at first, but after sending my proposal and then explaining that I don't take credit cards, I didn't hear another word.
Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616
[url]framesurveying.com[/url]

Robert Martin

Postby Robert Martin » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:04 am

I received my first one (and only one) last week, it came from the email address: "Machado Jose <mjose007009@gmail.com>" and the email showed it was sent to: "ian.wilson.pls@gmail.com"... It was pretty easy to identify as fishy since the email was directed to "ian.wilson.pls@gmail.com" and not my self. I don't know enough about scams and emails to know why I got the email, but since Ian Wilson's email is involved I assume this CLSA website is connected somehow.
Robert I. Martin, PLS 8778
Professional Land Surveying
Siskiyou County, CA
www.rimartin.com

Ian Wilson

Postby Ian Wilson » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 am

Robert,

I got that one on Sunday night, too.

Asking me to survey his property. No mention of where or what.

I responded that I was no longer in private practice and that he should look for a local surveyor.

Maybe he reached out to you?

Ian
Ian Wilson, P.L.S. (CA / NV / CO)
Alameda County Surveyor

LA Stevens

Postby LA Stevens » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:16 pm

IAN - I was contacted by Jose too! See below for email thread. I don't have time for someone wont send me a Title Insurance Policy if they own it or a PTR if they are going to purchase.

I have had similar emails within the last couple of months.

Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2019 12:10 PM
To: Larry Stevens
Subject: Re: SURVEYOR

Is with the Ex-owner and am out of town. Can you do me a favor?

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 5:31 PM Larry Stevens <larry@lastevensinc.com> wrote:
I can’t do anything, until I have a Preliminary Title Report. Can you send one?

Thanks,
Larry

Lawrence A. Stevens, PLS

7 Commercial Blvd., Suite One
Novato, CA 94949
P: (415) 382-7713
F: (415) 382-7714
www.LAStevensInc.com

Historical Southern & West Marin Land Surveyors Archives dating back to Late 1800’s
State Director since 2016, Marin Chapter President 2005-2006 California Land Surveyors Association (CLSA)
Certified 2007-2018 – CLSA Professional Development Program (Education & Self-Advancement)
Executive Board Member – Land Surveyors Advisory Council on Technical Standards (LSACTS)
www.LSACTS.com

NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.

Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:26 AM

250K to 300k let me have your estimate then we go from there. Thanks

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 5:09 PM Larry Stevens <larry@lastevensinc.com> wrote:
Can you send me a title insurance policy and the deed for the property?

How much of the property will you be developing?

Lawrence A. Stevens, PLS

Novato, CA 94949
www.LAStevensInc.com

Historical Southern & West Marin Land Surveyors Archives dating back to Late 1800’s
State Director since 2016, Marin Chapter President 2005-2006 California Land Surveyors Association (CLSA)
Certified 2007-2018 – CLSA Professional Development Program (Education & Self-Advancement)
Executive Board Member – Land Surveyors Advisory Council on Technical Standards (LSACTS)
www.LSACTS.com

NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.

Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:53 AM

Thanks for getting in touch with me I really appreciate it, just so you know I should have called or visited your office about my project but am currently out of state on medical trip, I thought it'll be something minor but it appears that I would have to undergo surgery because this illness has taken too much of me and I'm starting to think its not possible until I got your contact information

I'm purchasing a land with the purpose of having a custom house built on it and relating to the size I want you to make exact size measurement of the land to know if the dimensions I want for the building fit within the space and also determine land boundary lines, Here's my lot address: 255 Alameda Del Prado, Novato, CA 94949. 22 Acres and I wish to start next year and spend 15-20 months with the construction project, I budgeted $5000 to $10,000 for the Topographic Survey, Site Plan, Boundary Survey and drawing with lot lines and house dimensions.

Kindly work on an estimated base on the information provided so that I can secure your deposit payments in order to move forward with my project on time

Best regards.
Machado Jose

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 4:46 PM Larry Stevens <larry@lastevensinc.com> wrote:
Hi Jose,

Yes, we do work on residential properties and our delivery date is 3-6 weeks on normal subdivision lots. We take checks, cash or credit cards. The Credit Card has a convenience fee of approximately 3%.

Who referred you to our firm?

What is the address of the site.

Please send a copy of the title insurance policy, the deed of the property and any other survey documents you have for the property for our use and review.

Thank you,
Larry
Lawrence A. Stevens, PLS

Novato, CA 94949
www.LAStevensInc.com

www.LSACTS.com

Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:29 AM
To: larry@lastevensinc.com
Subject: SURVEYOR

Hi there,

I hope you offer resident surveying, Planning, and measurements for the proposed new building? I need you to work on my new site please advise if you're available and which mode of payment do you accept?

Regards.
JOSE

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Just got one:
Hi,How are an Resident survey Company?

To: Michael Pallamary

Hi there,

I hope you offer resident surveying, Planning and measurements for proposed new building ? I need you to work on my site please advise if you're available and which mode of payment do you accept?

Regards.
Steven Cart

Residential Project

Dave Lindell

Postby Dave Lindell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:53 am

Just tell 'em the last one you did you screwed up so bad that you would like a chance to do another one.

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:46 pm

Sounds good to me!

Scott

Postby Scott » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:25 pm

I received one also.

Subject: SURVEYOR
Hi there,
I hope you offer resident surveying, Planning, and measurements for the proposed new building? I need you to work on my new site please advise if you're available and which mode of payment do you accept?
Regards.
JOSE

I googled Machado Jose and found a disease called Machado-Joseph.
Scott DeLaMare
LS 8078

Dave Lindell

Re: Scott

Postby Dave Lindell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:36 pm

There's a cure for that called "Ignorem".

marois

Postby marois » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:39 pm

I also received a request for a survey by email from Mr. Machado, along with the same type of request from a Tommy Smith.

"I'm Tommy Smith. I would like to know if you are available to do land Survey . ? "

Another one I received was a little more specific, from a Mike Adney. He was looking for a cost to do a topo survey for a lot in the mountain community of Idyllwild. After preliminary research, I gave him a reference for a surveyor that lives in the area. However he still sent a cryptic email see below.

"I need your advice on this, I wish to meet you one on one to have around table meeting but I'm presently out of state. I would have loved to meet up on this but currently i'm with my wife who’s recuperating in the Teaching Hospital and i am always by her side confined to a wheel chair. Not to worry, I will be paying for the deposit before you start."

Anthony Maffia

Postby Anthony Maffia » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Sounds like a bunch of Nigerians.
- Anthony Maffia, LSIT

btaylor

Postby btaylor » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Add me to the list. Only he called himself "Thomas Luke". His grammar was similar to the others so must be the same guy with a new name.

Dave Lindell

Postby Dave Lindell » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:39 pm

If I wanted to scam dentists/architects/lawyers I would go to a website that has "Find a dentist/architect/lawyer" and reap hundreds of leads.
I'm pretty sure where they got my information.

JHerman

Postby JHerman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Got a contact from "Tommy Smith" as well. He wanted a boundary on a property in our area. I played his game for a little while till i could get the full details of his scam.
"Thank you for the updated survey result.I am presently recuperating from the diagnosis of lung and I will undergo surgery in a couple of days so i'm in the hospital receiving intensive Care and i dont have cash Please let me know when you are in position to charge my credit card also I will be needing a favor from you regarding the payment.

I will be giving you my credit card to charge for the total of $6,900 plus the extra 3% credit card company charges You will be holding $2700 as the deposit of your work and having the remaining $4000 send through cash deposit to the bank account of my architect who is handling the drawing, and designing of my new house which is the retainer fee because he does not have the facility to charge credit card.. While holding the remaining $200 as your tips and stress. Hope you understand ? If YES. I will be waiting till next week friday for us to proceed with the payment. Thank You
Regards,"

Quick Nope response to his email will see if he reaches out again.

Dave Lindell

Postby Dave Lindell » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:54 pm

I told "Tommy Smith" that it would be 100% up front and the field work would start after his check cleared.
Gee, I never got the property information.

Peter Ehlert

Postby Peter Ehlert » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:05 pm

I guess you folks need to teach me how to engage... he did not respond
===
12/2/19, 3:31 PM

Good afternoon Mr. Smith

Where is the property?

What type of survey is desired?
Peter Ehlert

On 12/2/19 1:43 PM, Tommy Smith wrote:
> Good to hear from you. What is your cell phone number? what are the area you service for?
>
> On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 9:27 PM Peter Ehlert, PLS <pls5116@sdi-baja.com> wrote:
>
> Good afternoon Mr. Smith
>
> Where is the property and what type of survey is desired?
>
> Peter Ehlert
>
> On 12/2/19 12:31 AM, Tommy Smith wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm Tommy Smith . I would like to know if you are
> > available to do land Survey . ?
Peter Ehlert

Jay Wright

Postby Jay Wright » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:43 pm

Thomas Luke is back asking me if I accept credit cards and not telling me where the property is.
CYA

dedkad

Postby dedkad » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:39 pm

I wonder where they are getting the credit card numbers that they will be giving you?

wingding

Postby wingding » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:02 am

I accept CC on my website, through a secure link.
I was hacked every 2-4 seconds. They attempted to charge 0.01 to a card to see if it was a valid number.
The secure link used CAPTCHA. Captcha is not secure to robots.
I stopped it by putting a minimum amount of $100 on the CC payment.

Jim Frame

Postby Jim Frame » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:51 am

I stopped it by putting a minimum amount of $100 on the CC payment.

You mean it's going to cost me *at least* $100 to get my lot surveyed!? Why, that's highway robbery! My brother-in-law knows a guy at work who'll do it for a lot less than that!

I don't take credit cards, or PayPal, or Venmo. (I did make an exception once for a client who wanted to pay via PayPal, but after seeing PayPal's bite I decided not to do that again.) Good old-fashioned checks are my bread and butter, though I have a couple of public agency clients that pay via ACH transfer, and I like that a lot.
Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616
[url]framesurveying.com[/url]

RAM

Postby RAM » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:27 am

interesting,

I have ben getting phone call inguirys here at the County, and the name given is always different than the name on the caller id. The Caller id matches the name of Jose.

hellsangle

Postby hellsangle » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:30 pm

I wonder if the gmail link helps . . .

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/8253?hl=en

Don't ya wish there was a silver bullet one could send to 'em?

Stay safe everyone and have a good weekend.

Crazy Phil

Gromatici

Postby Gromatici » Wed May 26, 2021 7:05 am

Anyone who says "kindly" is a scammer. They all use that word..........
Eric J Ackerman, PLS, RPLS, CFedS
Licenses: CA. AZ, ID, NV, CO
Gromatici Land Surveying, Inc.
http://www.gromatici.com
info@gromatici.com

Ric7308

Postby Ric7308 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:25 am

Just received a 'Resident Surveyor' email from "Luke" at my very old private email address from before my Board days. Seriously dude, update your scam email list.

Return to “General Discussion”