PM for Condominiums - # of units on map?

Elias French

PM for Condominiums - # of units on map?

Postby Elias French » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:05 am

Parcel Map for condominium subdivision: Must the number of units to be created be stated on the map? How about type (residential, commercial)? The Condominium Plans will not be appearing on this map, only the 'boundary survey' and monumentation, etc.

If so, what section of the SMA or other code states this? What is the practice in you area?

Encountering differing practices from place to place and looking for references...

Thanks all.

Brian Christensen

Re: PM for Condominiums - # of units on map?

Postby Brian Christensen » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:32 am

I have done a couple single parcel Parcel/Sub'd maps, not showing anything subdivided and I have shown them delineating the common area. Never had to delineate the units or state the number of units.... Not the vehicle for that. Your Condo Plan is the meat and potatoes document, the map is just a place holder.
Brian Christensen, PLS, CMS
Siskiyou County Surveyor

40 CHAINS

Postby 40 CHAINS » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:37 am

The way I understand this, the answer is yes. The map is what entitles the project to build xx number of condominiums. Do not have to show or delineate the units or the common interest but need to specify the number of units residential and/or commercial on the map. We've had to amend a map before for not stating the correct number of units for the project.

Chris C

Ian Wilson

Postby Ian Wilson » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 am

It appears that you are asking if the number of units needs to be addressed on the map. SMA §66427 indicate that it does. The location of the parcel is not necessary, but the maximum number is. Without this information, the local authority would not be able to determine the potential affect of the subdivision on local infrastructure. [see SMA §66427(e)(1)]

I used to counsel clients that they should always ask for more units than they anticipated constructing. The developer can always reduce the number applied for. Increasing requires a new application...and more dollars.
Ian Wilson, P.L.S. (CA / NV / CO)
Alameda County Surveyor

Elias French

Postby Elias French » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:22 pm

Thanks all,

To clarify, Units and Common area, etc. will not be shown on the map, just the boundary of the parcel being "condo-ized". Interesting to hear of a modern Parcel Map showing the common area however, haven't see too many of those.

Sounds like in Brian Christenson's area the number and type of units don't appear on the map and aren't seen as required, but in 40 Chains and Ian Wilsons area they are. Or perhaps just the "maximum allowable per planning approval" number of units. I have seen both practices in Bay Area jurisdictions I am familiar with.

It sounds like the SMA doesn't come right out and say this anywhere however, although I can see how 66427 could be interpreted as Ian says. From a practical perspective, if the maximum allowable units isn't stated on the map, how are future folks to know how many units the project was approved for, and that that number wasn't exceeded by the developer? I have heard this as the reason the number of units should be on the map and don't see much harm to putting the number on the map.

For what its worth, this question arose in the course of our contract city surveyor work reviewing a map by others in an area where the units don't appear on the maps. Decision is to "require" or "suggest" number of units be added to map... or leave as is.

Ian raises an interesting point, can approval be sought, granted, and documented on the map, for a "maximum allowable" number of units, and then fewer units actually built, shown on the condo plans etc? This would seem to allow for addition of future units by amendment of condo plans without amendment of the map or new subdivison application. Where I work in San Francisco, the standard practice is to state the exact number and type of units to be created in the title block. This basically locks you in to a situation where if you make any changes/add units later on amendment of the map is required, or more likely a new subdivision application. I have heard of situations, however, where a map is approved and recorded for a certain number of units, and a lesser number is actually built and created by condo plan and CCR's. Was never too sure how this practice fit within the 'rules'...

Thanks for the input all

Anthony Maffia

Postby Anthony Maffia » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:49 am

I thought the state changed the rules a decade or so ago, so that San Francisco could no longer require the condominium plan, outline, details, number of units, etc. on the subdivision map. The maps I see state ".. map for condominium purposes" but never the number of units.
- Anthony Maffia, LSIT

mpallamary

Postby mpallamary » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:33 pm

You have to state the number of units. It is called subdivision control. The location is not important for this purpose. The number of units is - what type of demands will the project put on the community and can the infrastructure handle it all.

Return to “General Discussion”